Saturday, July 7, 2007

First Week

This has been an amazing week. I have been in Copenhagen for only a week and I am getting very familiar with the city. After school today I took a walk around my neighborhood area to map it out in my head. I love seeing new things and discovering new environments. I got rained on again, but only shortly. I plan on taking a good ride around the city tomorrow. There are many beautiful parks I would like to play in or rest in. I have made friends with students in class, and met a few other Danish students who live on my floor, but only briefly. I have talked to Danish people when I need to figure something out, like where I am. Other than that I haven't really gotten to have a conversation with a person from Copenhagen. The program told us it would be hard to because Danes are not outgoing and stick to their circles that they are comfortable with. I have noticed that when I approach someone to ask them a question they are very helpful and friendly, never rude or annoyed. I hope to get more immersed in the culture, but I will be in the studio a lot too. I went grocery shopping today at a small market called Netto right next to the Design School and of course there was a big bike rack full of bikes right outside the store. I am so happy about this, but when I go home I will be locking my bike to any random signpost I can find because of the lack of racks : ( Thursday was our first day of class and we got started immediately. I have made six test prints with a combination of three colors each. Everyone else has done this and we are all learning how the color overlaps and works with our design. We all love it and share ideas and learn from each other. My professors are very knowledgeable and are so good to work with. They really love what they do. It's nice to be working with people who are as excited as I am about pattern, design, color, texture, and how it all goes together on fibers. Next week we leave for Stockholm and Helsinki to go to museums and see where textiles are designed and made. After we get back, our sketchbooks are to be filled with inspiration to begin working on the final project. It is to design a print with a maximum of three colors that is 3 meters for interior decoration. I can feel the time passing so quickly. I leave next week, and will be gone for 10 days. When we get back I will have less than a month in Copenhagen. I am enjoying everything so much, except the expensive cost of living. It is worth it though, and grocery shopping is a money saver of course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a good first week! I'm so happy your loving Copenhagen! It sounds like your having an amazing experience!! Miss ya in Omaha. Love you, Katie

Anonymous said...

Your room looks really cool! Wow, you are really going to miss all the bike racks when you get back. I'm glad that things are going so well.Sounds like you're learning a lot, too. We miss you!

Powered By Blogger