
Like many artists, I have a thing for texture. I started today by doing some rubbings to see what interesting lines came up. After that, I decided it was time to sketch and really observe the space more than just a photograph would allow. There is a lot of imagery to be inspired by. The original stenciling that borders the walls and ceiling are still intact. The tin patterned ceiling tiles have an elegant art deco kind of design. Natural decay of the walls, wood, and overall structure create organic patterns of their own.
I'm interested in the stories that have layered its history. Old buildings always have many stories, and I've been hearing some from people around. After it was no longer functioning as an opera house, a basketball hoop was installed for kids to practice. Some kids snuck up for their first kisses and first cigarettes.
No comments:
Post a Comment