Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The installation is up! Overall I am happy with the colors and the patterns that came out. The figures create movement and energy however, I think that the relationship to the entire space is not unified because I kept the figures contained. I think that maybe if I had more time I could have pushed it farther and made it work. I can take away a lot from this because it was a challenge and now I can see what works and what doesn't. I'm still trying to figure it out. The meaning of the piece does come across, but the visual impact is not as strong as it could be. The idea behind this installation was that I was putting imagery together from the history in Corning and around it. The stories that are created and made by the people who settled her, such as the French Icarians, and the people who are trying to sustain their communities by bringing in new ideas and also preserving the past. I was fascinated by how we create our lives and what becomes meaningful over time, and how these things remain and evolve through time. The way the pieces are hung, like bed time mobiles or string puppets gives the lighthearted feel of story telling. Hung throughout the figures are common symbols that the community associated with their past/present/future. The figures have hand painted designs that represent nature and cultivating land. The smaller cut silhouettes have a structured, screen printed pattern. The pattern is influence by the Opera house stenciling, upholstery, and Icarian symbols.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Powered By Blogger