Saturday, June 2, 2012

Senbazuru

About a week and half ago, one of my host parent's grandchildren underwent a major heart surgery. She is only five. This was the third one and she will have to do two more as she ages. Since I can't speak Japanese I don't know the details of her heart condition but the surgery was a success! As part of this major event in life, the family made one-thousand cranes called, Senbazuru. This tradition is done for good health and healing. The crane is a sacred symbol for long life. I learned how to fold the paper cranes also and was glad that I could contribute. Last week we would sit at the table and just fold, sometimes over coffee and dessert, sharing some conversation (little from me), and even watching Michael Jackson's, This is It. Turns out my host parents are big fans of the singer and saw him in concert twenty years ago in Japan. Folding paper cranes while we were signing to "Smooth Criminal"...good times!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger